positive living groups
independence and quality of life of older people and those with a disability who live at home
The aim of the Positive Living Groups
is to enhance the independence and
quality of life of older people
and those with a disability
who are living at home.
The service is provided by the Coordinator,
Activities Leaders and
The specific needs of each person
who attends are taken into account
and the range of activities ensures
that there is always something
of interest happening – armchair exercise,
craft, games, health, music,
cooking, speakers and outings.
The ‘active service model’ is embraced -
whereby we work with, rather than for,
our Group members - encouraging them
to use their existing skills more fully
and to rediscover former abilities.
The groups offer social contact for any
who are lonely or isolated – and perhaps
the most important element of all is
the opportunity to meet with friends and
chat in a safe, welcoming environment.
Anyone is welcome to attend, and
referrals can come from other
agencies or from family members.
People from diverse cultural and linguistic
backgrounds are made welcome
and an international theme is sometimes
added to the delicious food
enjoyed during the day.
People enjoy reminiscing as well as
regular visits by guest presenters and
the company of our Furry Volunteers.
A small charge is made, payable on the day
of attendance, but difficulty with the cost
should not prevent anyone attending.
People attend one or multiple sessions,
depending on available vacancies.
The Centre is wheelchair accessible.
A monthly Carers Group provides an
opportunity for those who have carer
responsibilities to meet with others
in a similar situation -
offering a time of sharing,
information and support,
as they discuss their common concerns.
Health professionals may also attend.
• MONDAY 12.30 – 3 pm Carers meeting and Bus Trip for care recipients.
• TUESDAY 10 am to 3 pm. This is a social group with clients enjoying social interaction, gentle exercise, use of IPADs, information sharing & some outings are arranged during the year.
• THURSDAY 10 am to 3 pm: This is a social group for people who like to chat, knit, play cards or board games in a friendly atmosphere, as well as enjoying guest speakers and demonstrators. We are joined fortnightly by a group of Filipino seniors who also share their love of dance and music.
• FRIDAY 10 am to 3 pm Members
enjoy socializing, exercise & dance,
mind games, craft and more.
• ALL SESSIONS include morning
and afternoon teas and lunch.
Initial contact is made to the Co-ordinator,
weekdays, 9.30am - 3.45pm.
Telephone (03) 9803 3400
Funding is received and gratefully acknowledged from: Federal and State Governments.